chevron background

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Valentine's Day Shelves

I decorated my shelves for Valentine's Day! I thought they turned out pretty cute, so I decided to share them!



I made the wreath using pink felt and a pool noodle. I taped the noodle in a circle with duck tape to make a wreath form. Noodles are great for this. They are a lot cheaper than buying actual wreath forms. I bought a few on clearance after summer last year.


Then I covered it with some pink fabric by cutting 4 in. strips and wrapping them around the noodle until it was covered completely. 


I used a bowl to trace circles so they would all be the same size. Then I cut circles out of the pink felt. Make sure you have really sharp fabric scissors for this. It will make your life a lot easier, trust me! 




So then you will end up with these. I think I ended up cutting out about 60-70 circles. Now you are ready to make the felt rosettes. First you are going to cut the circles by starting on the outside and cutting in a circle all the way around until you reach the middle. If you want your flower to stick up more on the outside and have depth in the middle, then start out cutting thin on the outside and get thicker on the inside (the inside of the circle will actually be the outside of your flower). If you want your flower to be the same depth throughout, then cut the same all the way around. This is how I did mine.



So apparently, I didn't take any pictures of me making the rosettes. This is why I never share how I make stuff. Not because I don't want to share, I just get so caught up in what I am doing that I forget to take pictures. So I decided I would just use a piece of scrap felt to show you this part. 


Start with the outside of the circle and just start rolling the felt up, while keeping the bottom edge lined up.



Once you get to the end, you can either pin or hot glue the end to the flower. I just used a pin here since I was only making one flower.


This is what you will end up with. I ended up making somewhere around 65 of these. I used 2 yards of pink felt. I really needed more because there are empty spots that I can still see. I wanted to go ahead and get this up so I could actually enjoy it and blog about this year before Valentine's Day is over. But when I take it down I am going to go ahead and add more rosettes for next year because the gaps are driving me crazy. Notice the gaps on the inside on the left in this photo. I can see those in a lot of places and it's driving me nuts!


Also on the top shelf, I spray painted this wooden LOVE sign that I found at Marshalls. I found the frame at Goodwill a while back. I also sprayed it with the same gray paint as I did the LOVE sign. I printed the 14 on the computer, and I found the pink bird at Target.

The pink bird isn't as dark as it appears in these photos.

  On the bottom shelf, I displayed two pitchers with flowers and a frame with Valentine subway art. I created the subway art on the computer and printed it. I found the white ceramic pitchers at The Christmas Tree Shops for $4.99, and the flowers are from JoAnns.


On my kitchen table, I needed a centerpiece. I spray painted some tree limbs gray, put them in a pitcher I already had and hung some felt hearts on them. I got the felt hearts at Target in the Christmas clearance once they marked them 90% off. I got the pack of three for 10 cents! They had gold strings, so I replaced them with some white string I already had.





Sorry some of these pictures are terrible quality. Our townhouse is like a cave! ONE DAY...ONE DAY, I will have a ton of windows with natural light flowing in!!! I just have to keep repeating this to myself! haha Now that the holidays are almost over, I need to figure out how to decorate these shelves with everyday decor. This will be one more thing added to my long list of things to do!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment